Contact the tax office

what is a tax rebate?

A tax rebate is your entitlement to a refund of any overpaid tax during the financial year, as determined by the Inland Revenue.

who can make a tax rebate claim?

Regardless of your nationality anybody who has worked in the UK and have overpaid taxes may be eligible to claim a tax rebate,and this can happen in any one of the following situations:

1. Anyone who has not worked for the full financial year (6th April to 5th April of  the  following year).

2. Those who were on emergency tax codes.

3. All those who worked in the construction industry and paid taxes under the CIS scheme.

4. A married person who was issued with a single person’s tax code.

Back to Top

when can i claim my tax rebate?

Either at the end of the tax year, (April 5th), or when you have finished work and won’t be working again in that financial year, or if you are leaving the country and will not be returning to work in the UK again until after the end of the financial year.

if i make a claim midway through the tax year, do i have to wait until the end of the tax year to receive my rebate?

No. You can claim at any time of the year and expect to receive your rebate within 4 to 6 weeks of claiming..

how far back can i claim my refund?

You can claim back as far as 6 years and as most people are not required to make statutory returns there are no late penalties.

how much tax will i get back?

If you have earned less than £4385 in the 00/01 financial year then you will receive a full tax rebate of tax paid. If you have earned over your tax free allowance,go to our tax calculator to find out if you are due a tax rebate.

what do i need to make a claim?

In order to claim a rebate you will need to fill in the confidential questionnaire, sign the forms where indicated with an X and post them back to us along with your P45 for each employment you have had during the tax year and a P60 from the company that you were employed by at the end of the tax year. You should obtain these from your employer. If any P45’s or P60’s have been lost you will need to obtain a Statement of Earnings from your employer.

You can print out the forms at Online Forms or start with your claim at Make a Claim.

what if i have lost my p45 /p60?

In the event of loosing a P45 or P60 your employer will issue you with a Statement of Earnings as a duplicate. You will need a statement of earnings from every employers you have worked for during that financial year.

If you have already left the UK and are unable to get your P45 or P60 our consultants will do all the chasing to get  a copy from your ex employers for a   fee of £14 deductible from the rebate secured from your claim. You’ll have to request this service when filling our Questionnaire Form.

how long does it take to get my refund?

You will need to spend about 10 minutes providing your basic details, then we will prepare your submission and your claim will then take between four and six weeks with the Inland Revenue.

do i need a national insurance number to make a claim?

No, Not having a National Insurance number will not affect your entitlement to a tax rebate. If you do not have a NI number, Digitax UK will apply for a temporary one on your behalf as part of the service. However, it may cause some delay in obtaining the repayment.

can i claim my national insurance contributions?

Not in the form of a cash refund. You can transfer a portion of your contributions into a UK private pension which will mature once you reach retirement age.

how much does it cost?

We take our fee from your refund and pass the balance to you, you pay nothing. We charge a commission fee of  %12.5 of the refund secured from the inland revenue, if  you register with us and claim online we will provide the service at the discounted rate of only 10%, subject to a minimum fee of £50 (£40 if your tax rebate is under £200). If we are not successful in claiming your tax, you pay nothing.

how do i make a claim?

In order to proceed with your claim please click on Make a Claim, register with us, print out, complete and return the forms enclosing your original employment records (P45, P60, CIS voucher, payslips…).

what is a p45, p60 and sc60/cis voucher?

P45: This is a form which you receive from your employer once your have stopped working for them.  It is your employment leaving certificate and it provides information on your total gross earnings and total tax paid. There are 4 parts to a P45 form and these are as follows:-

Part 1 will be sent directly to the Department of Inland Revenue by the employer.

Part 1A will be given to you to keep for your own personal records.

Parts 2 & 3 will also be given to you but must be passed on to your next employer.

If your employer used an emergency tax code to work out your pay, then your earnings and tax information will only appear on parts 1 and 1A of the P45 certificate. Parts 2 & 3 will be blank.

To ensure your claim is successful you must retain your P45 and submit all of them with your claim .

P60:If you are working for an employer at the end of the financial year on 5 April, you will be issued with a P60 that records your total gross earnings and is proof of the tax you have paid up to the end of that financial year.

To ensure your claim is successful you must retain your P45 and submit all of them with your claim .

SC60/CIS VOUCHER:The construction industry operates a slightly different scheme, CIS vouchers have superseded the old SC60S. A CIS voucher should be issued to you after the 5th of each month, you must keep these vouchers in a safe place as they can not be reissued.

CIS stands for Construction Industry Scheme. This is a certificate of pay showing your income and tax paid on those earnings.

what is a statement of earnings?

Employers are not allowed to issue duplicate P45 or P60 certificates. Therefore, should you lose your P45 or P60 certificate, a statement of earnings should be obtained from your employer. The statement of earnings should contain the following information:

1. Your employer’s PAYE tax district and reference number

2. Period of employment

3. Total gross earnings

4. Total tax deductions

If you have already left the country get in touch with your employer(s) by mail ,phone or email through there website.You will need a statement of earnings from every employers you have worked for during that financial year. Employers are obliged by law to provide you with a statement of earnings going back up to 6 years. the whole process shouldn’t take more than 7 days.

what is emergency tax?

When you first start working in the UK the Inland Revenue needs to assess how you should be taxed. This depends on your age, marital status and other personal circumstances. Once the Inland Revenue has assessed your status they issue a tax code to your employer that tells them at what rate to deduct your tax. Until this tax code is issued your employer is forced to deduct tax at the emergency tax code denoted by the letters  BR, X, WK1, MTN1. This can result in an overpayment of tax.

what is the financial year?

The financial year commonly known as the tax year runs from April 6 until April 5 the following year.

what is a personal allowance?

A personal allowance is a tax exempt amount of income that you are entitled to in each tax year.

For example, the 99/00 tax year has a personal allowance of £4335. For 00/01 tax year, the personal allowance is £4385.

To be able to contact tax office is very important whenever you think about financial dealings in the UK. There are several clearances that you must get from the HMRC when launching into a business venture, getting into self-employment or when you get a job with the government.

You might find the tax laws quite complicated and clarification from the main office will help you to avoid possible traps. For individuals and employees, information regarding tax credits is vital to avert situations of overpayment. You will also discover avenues where you can apply for claims on the amount of tax you pay if you qualify for entitlements such as child benefits, income support if you are earning low wages, housing benefits and disability benefits.

Information concerning  national insurance can also be availed on request. It is important to understand the threshold of your submissions especially if you are a pensioner. To have all your questions answered there is no need to find your nearest tax office, just contact tax office and speak to a representative.

Employers can always update themselves about PAYE and other employee related info using the tax telephone number. Filing Annual Return Forms P35 and P14 is vital for employers to avoid penalties. One can confirm deadlines for submissions and  inquire about any policy changes concerning employees. Payroll errors can be instantly reported to HMRC tax office using the income tax telephone number.

Business establishments, both small and corporates, must update themselves on the VAT obligations, import and export duty, stamp duties affecting land leases, shares and stock transfers and requirements for partnership start-ups among others. You can ask about capital allowances that come with spending money on acquiring expensive assets for your company.

The tax office also has the responsibility of calculating capital gains tax and claims on property and benefits that donors can get out of giving to charity. If you are an international investor or student, you also have to be informed about the tax category that you fall into for convenience purposes. Only a few people understand the many opportunities that individuals can use to lay claims on the amount of taxes they pay. Confusion is also rampant so that people find themselves on the wrong side of the law because of ignorance on the rules. The tax telephone number will make it possible for you to communicate with customer relations agents for clarifications.